Interviewing: What NOT to Say
September 29, 2009
There is a lot of information online about potential interview questions, but not as much about “no no” topics and comments. Given that, we thought it would be helpful to have a “What NOT to talk about in an interview” list.
Below are some examples of topics to refrain from discussing. To some, they may be common sense, to some a surprise. To all, take note.
- You were fired from your last job for violating the NDA, but who cares, NDAs don’t matter
- How much you enjoy drinking on the job
- You are planning on moving out of the country in the near future
- You’ll sue anyone if they make you angry
- You really need a job, any job
- You beg for the job
- You ask if you can wear pajamas to work
- You got in a fistfight with a co-worker who disagreed with you
- You discuss your previous boss’s personal problems
- You discuss your religion and ask the interviewer to come to your church
- You don’t have references because you never got along with anyone at any job